When it is time to pack up your Long Island home, the key to packing effectively is to have the right boxes on hand to pack your items into. Remember, flimsy and weak boxes are the start of a disaster in the making. No one wants to pack up a box only to find this box is so weak that it breaks before it gets placed into the moving truck.
With this being said, how can you find the strong boxes you need for your Long Island move? While you can opt to buy boxes, there are many people who are looking for strong boxes that are free to them. Luckily, there are a few places where you can find free boxes, and many businesses are going to be eager for you to take these. After all, if you take these boxes, they don’t have to dispose of them.
1. Check with your local liquor store. Liquor boxes are rather thick since the bottles being delivered are heavy. Often these boxes will have dividers in them, making them great for glassware that you may be packing up.
2. Consider stopping in at your local bookstore or Barnes & Noble. Books are shipped in boxes, and for you book lovers out there, they may carry just the type of boxes you need for your book collection.
3. Large retailers like Target, Walmart, etc., all have deliveries made in boxes, and they often have these deliveries several times per week. You will find that if you time it just right you can get a few free boxes from them that they have yet to break down. The key is getting to the boxes before they are flattened for pick up!
4. Make a post on Facebook about needing boxes. You may be surprised at what you get. Many people may reach out and say they have tons of boxes they were going to recycle, but you are more than welcome to come and get these.
When you do get free boxes, they are often going to contain writing on them. It is important that you can still figure out where this box needs to go once you get to your new Long Island location. For this reason, here is what we recommend:
- We recommend you have permanent markers, and sticker labels, then ensure this label is what the eye goes to automatically.
- Be sure to black out any previous information on the box to avoid confusion.
- Also, for your safety and the safety of everyone, be sure that you are using the right tape in securing the bottoms and tops of these boxes!
Remember, when it is time to move from your Long Island home, let the professionals help make this a bit easier. And if you don’t want to take the time to find boxes for your move, you can always hire our packing professionals to handle this all for you. There is nothing better than simply setting back while we handle the packing and moving of your Long Island home. Call Quality Moving & Storage to schedule your move, get a free quote, or even ask questions about your upcoming Long Island move.
Subscribe to Quality Moving & Storage's Blog